Saturday, May 5, 2012

Cinco de Mayo

Hello!

Happy Cinco de Mayo! The "Fifth of May" is a day celebrating Mexican heritage and, in particular, the Mexican Army's victory over the French on May 5, 1862. Did you know that their Independence Day is actually September 16th? While there are a few similarities between the Dominican Republic and Mexico (language, religion, Latin culture, etc.) there are differences as well. For example, people here don't eat typical mexican foods. Dominicans don't celebrate Cinco de Mayo so it was a normal Saturday for us here.

I'm just sitting here drinking ""Te de Tilo." I accidentally bought it at the grocery store because its little green box looked just like the peppermint one that I usually buy. I knew that "Te de" meant "tea of" but I had no idea what tilo was! It turns out that it's "Linden Tea" which seems to have quite a few health benefits like relieving headaches, colds, fevers, sore throats, and sleeplessness. It doesn't have as much flavour as the peppermint tea I was expecting but hopefully I'll feel good and sleep well!

Goodnight!

Marcie Cooper

No comments:

Post a Comment